Before You Start Packing
Its best not to leave packing to the day before you move. You should take time to consider what will need packing carefully and what you don’t need to take with you. It is also a good idea to check your insurance policy to see if you are covered for any breakages. The you can start getting the ball rolling with regards to packing.
- Make a list of priority items to be packed.
- Have a good clear out whilst you are packing so you don’t end up taking junk with you. You could make a box up to take to a charity shop or car boot sale for all your unwanted items.
- Try and estimate how many boxes you are going to need and buy them in advance. There are other things to consider like the size of the boxes you get and other essentials such as tape, bubble wrap, sealable bags for any loose nuts and bolts from dismantled furniture. You should also consider saving old newspaper for lining boxes and protecting fragile items.
- Don’t overfill large boxes as they will be too heavy to lift!
- Use sturdy boxes, particularly for heavier items, corrugated card boxes tend to be stronger.
- Check your contents insurance covers any accidental breakages during the move.
- Keep cleaning products and other hazardous materials such as bleach, aerosols and paint in a separate box away from your other belongings.
In most cases, unless you don’t move much with you, you wont be able to unpack everything in the same day so it is worth planning what you will need easy access to when you move into your new home.
- Label a box essentials and put everything in it you think will be a priority during your move, things such as a kettle, tea, coffee, snacks, cups and other cutlery will all come in handy while you are unpacking.
- Have an overnight bag prepared for yourself and anyone else that will be staying in the property, include a change of clothes, toilet paper and any toiletries you may need.
- Other items you should keep to one side as a priority include, first aid kits and any essential medicines for family members, a torch, paper and pens, and a small tool kit.
- Tyr and get all laundry done in advance to moving so you can avoid packing damp or wet clothes, any dirty clothes should be packed separately so you know they need washing.
- Any boxes containing items you won’t need straight away should be loaded on the van first.
Take time to consider how you will pack your items, things such as books are easy to pack but they are heavy so you might want to limit how many you pack per box, valuables will need to be carefully wrapped so this may take some time, and some furniture will need to be dismantled.
- You should start early, packing always takes longer than you expect, especially when you find items that bring back pleasant memories and star reminiscing or realise a large item needs dismantling to fit through a door!
- Its always best to start at the top of the house and work your way to downstairs. If you have a loft, then this is always the best place to start.
- Pack heavier items in smaller boxes so it is easier to transport them. Try and keep the weight of the boxes to a minimum to avoid back injuries.
- Pack room by room and label each box clearly and specify which room it is from, also any boxes that contain fragile items should be labelled accordingly.
- Keep boxes from each room together so they can be unpacked together and save you some time.
- Pack heavier items at the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Wrap breakables individually in bubble wrap and pack in boxes that have been lined with newspaper.
- Any important documents should be kept together such as passports, birth certificates and other similar documents.
If you are moving house and need removals company in Doncaster, help with packing or packing materials or storage solutions then contact MooveIt Removals today – 01302 891295